RF Electrical Engineer
Devens, MA, USA
Posted on Saturday, September 23, 2023
Commonwealth Fusion Systems (CFS) has the fastest, lowest cost path to commercial fusion energy.
CFS collaborates with MIT to leverage decades of research combined with groundbreaking new high-temperature superconducting (HTS) magnet technology. HTS magnets will enable compact fusion power plants that can be constructed faster and at lower cost. Our mission is to deploy these power plants to meet global decarbonization goals as fast as possible. To that end, CFS has assembled a team of leaders in tough tech, fusion science, and manufacturing with a track record of rapid execution. Supported by the world’s leading investors, CFS is uniquely positioned to deliver limitless, clean, fusion power to combat climate change. To implement this plan, we are looking to add dedicated people to the team who treat people well, improve our work by adding multifaceted perspectives and new ways of solving problems, have achieved outstanding results through a range of pursuits, and have skills and experience related to this role.
SPARC sustains fusion reactions by feeding >25MW of 120MHz RF power into the tokamak to heat the plasma to 100 million Kelvin. We need an outstanding RF engineer to build the most powerful RF plant in the world.
Your responsibilities will include integration, test, and troubleshooting of all elements of the SPARC RF system. The ideal candidate will have 5+ years hands-on experience in high-power RF system design, integration, and test. Responsibilities for this position can scale with the candidate.
For more information on the SPARC RF plant, see the SPARC journal papers here:
SPARC Overview: https://www.cambridge.org/core/journals/journal-of-plasma-physics/article/overview-of-the-sparc-tokamak/DD3C44ECD26F5EACC554811764EF9FF0Ion
This team member will:
- Integrate, test, and commission RF system components – RF sources, amplifiers, transmission lines, antennas, splitters/combiners, power supplies
- Troubleshoot RF system hardware
- Develop manufacturing processes specific to RF components
- Troubleshoot and resolve manufacturing discrepancies with a focus on continuous improvement
- Design and integrate RF signal detection and measurement circuits that will interface with the control and data collection system of SPARC
The ideal candidate will have most, if not all, of these requirements:
- Bachelor’s degree in Electrical Engineering
- 5+ years hands-on experience in high-power RF system design, integration, and/or test
- Modern high-performance embedded digital controllers
- Altium or similar electrical design
- NX or similar mechanical design
- RF/Microwave simulation software: CST, HFSS e.g.
Additional preferred experience and/or qualifications:
- RF circuit electrical design
- Perform activities such as stooping, climbing, typing, standing, or sitting for extended periods of time
- Willingness to travel or work required nights/weekends/on-call occasionally
CFS team members thrive in a fast-paced, dynamic environment and have demonstrated exceptional results through a range of different pursuits. We all tightly align with our company values of integrity, execution, impact and self-critique. As we grow, we are looking to add talented people who are mission driven and bring diverse perspectives and new ways of solving problems.
At CFS, we deeply value diversity and are an equal opportunity employer by choice. We consider all qualified applicants equally for employment. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, protected veteran status, religion, physical or mental disability, marital status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, or any other basis protected by law, ordinance, or regulation.